Saturday, August 30, 2008

Getting my Geek On

So those of you that know me, know that I enjoy a good LARP. For those unfamiliar with the term it stands for Live Action Role Playing. It's basically a form of role playing that forgoes the use of dice and requires the player to take all of the actions.

I started years ago playing V:TSM (Vampire: the Masquerade) at the University of Michigan Union. I spent every other Friday pretending I was angst-filled, blood-sucking freak. I felt weird playing at first, thinking it was far too geeky. That is until I saw some of the other people playing. I wonder if they were as geeky as I thought or was I just ashamed that others might see me that way. It was fun, but it really was just a gateway to bigger and better games.

The V:TSM game lead to me being invited to play in a fantasy LARP called KANAR (Knights and Nobles and Rogues). KANAR was amazing. Imaging being a dashing knight, a devious thief, a peaceful cleric or a powerful magic user. KANAR let you live out those dreams. I played KANAR for nearly eight years before I basically called it quits. Moving 200 miles away and developing a hatred for the game will do that to you.

I started to feel the withdrawal symptoms and began looking for some relief when I got invited to a LARP called Final Haven.

Final Haven (and Winter Haven) have a very different view on what a Fantasy LARP is and I will admit I am still getting used to the differences between FH and KANAR. But the big thing I enjoy, good role playing, is abundant at FH/WH.

Recently one of the Game Masters at FH came up with the idea of running a Firefly/Serenity based LARP. I joined up as one of the assistant GM's and so far things look really interesting. Airsoft combat, good old fashioned heroing, and sense of hopeful hopelessness.

If things go well and the turn out for this little endeavor is good, there are plans to make it a continuing event. Hopefully we can find support and interest to run the game at least four times a year from this point on.

So if you're interested in trying out the Firefly LARP, and you have September 5th - 7th free, you should click right here. Register and start getting information on what you need to do to play.

No comments: